Our Rhode Island Reds have finally started laying pretty consistently, so if you are in need of some nice, fresh eggs from our happy hens you can use the form on the right side of this page to contact us or send an email to: email@example.com.
Looking into the depths of one of our Bushsteak tomato plants I saw what I thought was a perfectly ripe tomato, our first of the year!
As you can see, not quite ready for prime time.
Everything on this plate other than the pork chops came from our garden. Potatoes did real well, carrots are still producing, and we got a ton of beets!
There isn't much better from the garden than freshly dug potatoes!
We have been selling a ton of tomato plants this spring but now the season is coming to a close so rather than compost these plants we decided to put them in the ground, and see how we do selling tomatoes later this summer.
The tomato trellis is 6' T-posts with hog fence that we will tie the tomato plants off to as they grow. We have the same setup in our other garden, and we have been weaving the plants in, and out of the fence holes but we have been breaking too many plants so this time we are going to tie instead.
Here's the recipe:
10 pounds of beets
1 Tbsp pickling salt
2 cups white sugar
2 cups white vinegar
2 Tbsp pickling spice (in a cheese cloth bag, or coffee filter)
2 cups water
Place beets in a large pot with water to cover, bring to a boil, and cook until tender.
Drain, cool, and peel beets. Cut into roughly 2 inch pieces, or thick slices depending on your preference.
Combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt, and pickling spice in a non-reactive pot, and bring the mixture to a boil, reduce hear, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the beats to the pot, and return to a boil.
Remove the pickling spice bag.
Carefully ladle the beets, and pickling liquid into hot, sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/2" head space. Remove any air bubbles from the jars using a chopstick or similar non-metal utensil.
Process the jars in a water bath canner for 30 minutes.
We changed up the A Frame today to enclose it completely for the 21 Rhode Island Red girls, and the two Jersey Giant boys. They seem much more content having lots of covered area, and we even got the 22'x35' run fenced, and covered with flight netting so they can be safe when they are outside too!
Our Rhode Island Reds have finally started laying pretty consistently, so if you are in need of some nice, fresh eggs from our happy hens yo...
I thought this tomato was ready. Looking into the depths of one of our Bushsteak tomato plants I saw what I thought was a perfectly ripe...
We've got some Bush Steak Hybrid tomatoes setting fruit. I can't wait to eat our first one!
This one was a volunteer sunflower from bird feeder spillage.